Friday, October 15, 2010

Old Folks Tale

Approximately an hour to noon today (Oct 14 2010), one of my best friends texted me on cell - it was a saddening news, her grandmother had pass away.

I took a pause from my office work, offering a brief moment of silence and prayer for Jane's grandmother. I prayed for her soul, as I texted back 'she returned to the Lord, & now in His good Hands'.

I lost my Ah Kung (paternal grandpa) when I was 8, Ah Po (paternal grandma) in 1999, and Bapak (maternal grandpa) May last year. The only immediate grandparent I have now is Mama, mum's mother. And when she fell really ill earlier this year, I was so afraid of...... losing her.

Praise the Lord, Mama recovered. Even though Mama's health deteriorated, comparing to months earlier, I'm just so glad and thankful to God for her recovery. It feels like a given chance, to appreciate more of the person who brought my mother to this world.

Sometimes grandparents are taken for granted. Most of them live a quiet life, while their children/grandchildren continue their hectic lives. We seldom visit them (when they live apart from us) because they do not demand much of our presence, even when they miss us to the bone. They hardly ever verbalise their feelings, only to our comprehensions, the look on their faces and the speaking in their eyes.

A melancholic feeling runs through my veins now, as I think about Mama. She has short memory loss sometimes, not remembering names and what she does or says just minutes earlier. That is explicable, as she is in her 70's. But catching a sight on that, it could still make me teary-eyed. She was chatty before, but now she tires easily, and always retire to bed soon after nighfall.

I pray that God bless Mama everyday, that she feels loved by all of us, her family. There are no words great enough to tell her how much we love her, only through the touch of God's grace.

I pray, too, that everyone cherishes their grandparents. And if yours are no longer around, do pray for their souls, that they may rest in peace eternally.




God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment