Monday, October 18, 2010

Black Beauty

ALL COMMERCIALS SUGGESTING FAIRER-SKINNED PEOPLE ARE MORE BEAUTIFUL, SHOULD BE BANNED

That's exactly my sentiment right now.

This evening as I was having my dinner (sitting comfortably on the couch, in front of the TV), I saw this commercial ad about a beauty product, promising fairer skin when used. The ad was about a woman who lacked self confidence because of her dark skin, and regained it after using the 'fair lotion' on herself.

Seeing that ad, I grew furious.

Impulsively, I felt discrimination. Why should fairer people feel more confident? Why would one be ashamed of his/her dark complexion? Do skin colours matter at all? Most of all, what difference do these ads are, with racism? I couldn't help asking myself those and many other questions about this 'fair business'.

Many, mostly women, fall easy victims to this preying commercials. The ads often imply that 'whiter' people have bigger chance of succeeding in their careers, studies etc. Most of the time, they are portrayed by someone who is timid and withdrawn charactered. That is, of course, until they start using the so-called beauty product.

With all due respect to people who are dark-skinned naturally, they DO look beautiful, without even need to 'bleach' their skin. When I was younger, I used to think that way too, that I must make my complexion fairer. Thank God I was awaken before late.

Now, for me SKIN COLOURS DO NOT MATTER AT ALL. Every person has his/her own uniqueness, given by God. I'm not shouting out that we shouldn't make ourselves look more beautiful, at all. But it sadden me, when seeing ads like those, that we are taught in such a way, to mould ourselves into what this world wants to see, and not accepting who we really are.

To all of you out there, especially girls and women - YOU LOOK STUNNING regardless of how you look like and what skin colour you have. The inner beauty is what we should be taking care of. Ask yourself, why do you care so much when other people judge about your look/skin colour? Do others' ideas of 'beauty' worth so much for your dignity?

Let's stop this lie, together. We could start out by telling ourselves 'I AM BEAUTIFUL', accepting what God has given us. After all, nothing on us belongs to ourselves. From Him all things come, and to Him all things shall return. We are His creations, and to God, every single part of us is beautiful.

Here's praying and wishing that all of us feel graciously thankful for His wonderful gift of life.

GOD BLESS.

2 comments: