Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tending the Flock

1 Peter 5: 1-4
"So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ as well as a partaker in the glory that is to be revealed. Tend the flock of God that is your charge, not by constraint but willingly, not for shameful gain but eagerly, not as domineering over those in your charge but being examples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd is manifested you will obtain the unfading crown of glory."


What beautiful words of Saint Peter.



It's been a while since I last blogged - all through December and January was filled with activities (Christmas choir practises, Post-PBK retreat, EYC2011....), and soon after January ends, Chinese New Year was at the door.

Our Good Shepherd Church's TPBP (Parish Youth Pastoral Team) had a recollection recently on 15 Feb 2011, where we (myself included) renewed our commitment to serve another term in the team, and we welcomed a few fellow youths who had express their willingness to take on the pastoral cross too.

I attended Daily Mass on Tuesday (22nd Feb) and heard those beautiful words of Saint Peter, and I thought "what a great reproach on how a 'pelayan' on any ministry in a church should carry on his/her duties".

Many of us, in our pastoral journey, always tend to forget the real essence of ministering our group. I'm not being judgmental here, but more than often I see church leaders serve as a 'leader' - expecting the church communities to listen to their 'commands', unwilling to admit mistakes, easily disheartened by criticisms, shut off their ears on others, hungering for perfection in any activities they organised, seeking to be looked up upon to, taking pastoring as a mere 'job' instead of a calling.... It always anger me when witnessing those acts, and I can even be angry with myself when realising that I, too, fall into those lists sometimes.

Those words of Saint Peter say it all.

"tend the flock of God that is your charge, NOT BY CONSTRAINT BUT WILLINGLY, NOT FOR SHAMEFUL GAIN BUT EAGERLY, NOT AS DOMINEERING over those in your charge but BEING EXAMPLES TO THE FLOCK. Do we feel forced to serve? Do we want to be heard more than to listen? Do we feel tired over our ministry? Do we snap back, instead of self-reflecting, when reprimanded? Do we pursue self-satisfaction rather than the good of our charge?

I leave those questions for us all for pondering. I have many falls before throughout my journey as a servant in the church, but I am ever so thankful to God that He always find me back when I have wandered off from His way. It is far from easy to 'stay good' when carrying the cross of pastoral deeds - the nearer you come for God, the greater the temptations 'the other guy' bring on you to make you stray.

But, above all, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD. It is through fervent prayers that keep us stay on track. Apart from praying for our strength to answer His call, let's also pray for every one in the pastoral team that we journey together with.

"Pastoral is a Calling"

May we find peace and contentment in our pastoral works. GOD BLESS.


No comments:

Post a Comment